Thursday, May 26, 2011

That "damn weed" could save your life.

My cousin Bruce posted on fb he had teeth pulled and the blood was down to the seeping stage.  I told him he needed to go out and gather some gold thread, to which he replied, "we need to hang out more". This reminded me of all the times I have gathered the root, not only for myself, but to teach others how to find, forage, dry, steep, and use it.  There are many stories I could tell but the most remarkable one, even to me, was with an old friend of mine who had come down with a gum disease and had to have all her teeth pulled.

The day before her surgery she came to me asking what I suggested she could take for the pain after her entire top row of teeth had been removed.  I told her the only thing I could think of would be Gold Thread which would rid of the swelling and dull the pain.  A few days before, I had been out walking behind my sisters house and she showed me a patch of Gold Thread.  Remembering this, I called her up and asked her if it would be okay to gather some and with her permission granted, I brought my friend to harvest the strawberry plant-like herb.

After I got turned around a bit and my sister pointing me in the right direction, we soon found the patch and we began to harvest it strand by rhyzome strand with it's beautifully gold colored thread-like roots against the dark peat-like soil and moss.  Beautiful.  After we gathered about a quart ziploc bag full and once back to my place, I showed her how to clean and dry them and then proceeded to teach her how to prepare it.

Two days later and a day after her surgery, she came over and even though I was shocked at how badly her face was bruised, but was not suprised there was minimal swelling or much pain.  What I was suprised about was the fact that she was planning to have steak that night on the grill!  I thought she should probably wait for that but she was pretty stubborn and that was the end of the conversation.

Although I knew the wild medicinal herb would help her after the surgery, I still didnt' expect the pain to be dull enough to chew steak and even I was impressed by the healing powers of this wonderful plant.

Still today, she swears by Gold Thread as I do, and anyone else who has ever had any mouth issues and has treated it with Gold Thread, so do they.  The wonderful part is that it's wild, free and works 100% better than anything you can get over the counter or via medical script but the taste is something else.

Word of caution:  Never put anything thing in your mouth from the wild unless you are 100% certain you know what it is.  It's only medicinal if you forage for the right plant.  It can be deadly if it's a look-a-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a comment.